Sunday 27 May 2012

Presenting...Yesterday I Was

Hello Blogwatchers.


I've managed to keep my blogsplurging to minimum, but now that work has started on my next EP of songs, I am rather proud of my results this weekend, as some of you may have noticed by way of my throwing it at almost every internet portal I can think of - this blog is no exception.  Of course, it would be rather sad if I just bunged it on this blog and left it at that, so I thought I would share with you one or two observations based on my experience of recording this particular song.


  • It only takes my setting up of recording equipment, and the opening of some windows (as it is currently very hot & I would rather not suffocate while unravelling cables - more on that shortly), for my neighbourhood to spring into life.  I started work at about 3pm, and within seconds of my 8-track being laid out, a couple four gardens away decided to have a blazing row, and next door started, well, doing what they apparently do best.  At least I wasn't doing vocals at that point (forever my biggest worry about recording at home).
  • I still hate wires & leads.  The best way to get me into a sullen & grumpy silence is to put me in a room filled with the darned things.
  • I have indestructible fingers.  The lead break you hear in the below track was an accidental piece of marvellousness, and I am not terribly confident in the electric guitar department.  If we were in a studio and you asked me to "riff a bit" or something that involved improvised guitar-soloing, I would be tremendously stuck and play you one note in a rhythmic manner.  I have to work these things out, find something that fits, and that hopefully doesn't sound like a six year old wiping his nose on the strings.  (That said, it's possible that there are six year olds that can play better lead guitar than me.  Please don't find any on Youtube & show me, I'll cry.)  In any case, I happened upon the idea for this lead break, practised for an hour, and then took at least ten attempts to record it.  Twice I thought I'd done it right, but deleted them and had another go an hour later.
  • I also now understand why drummers often go without shirts.  Dave Grohl and Joey Castillo must be superhuman, and how they can do an entire gig's worth of drumming is utterly beyond me.

So there it is.  I present to you, my newborn friend, 'Yesterday I Was'.  I hope you enjoy it.

 Yesterday I Was by mrjohnmacleod

Love,
John xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment